Monday, September 15, 2014

Ultimate BB Cream and Foundation Compilation

Left to right: Skin 79 The Premier Gold BB, Etude House Precious Mineral BB, Elizabeth Arden Intervene Foundation, Lioele Beyond the Solution BB, L'egere Water Drop BB, Aveeno Clear Complexion BB 



Skin79 The Premier Gold BB Cream

Skin 79 
The Premier Gold BB Cream
40 mL
SPF 40 PA+++

I'm disappointed to say that this is the first Skin79 BB I've tried, and will probably be the last. The quality, lasting power, and finish are all mediocre. Not bad by any means, but there are definitely better ones on the market. The packaging is just a teensy bit tacky (but that's all personal preference), and the twist dispensing method is a little hard to control even if it's clever and sanitary.
The shade is extremely, extremely light (as you can see from the swatches below). I would recommend this only if you have fair porcelain skin. Beware, this will be a nightmare to blend naturally on any sort of tanned skin! 
I believe this one retails at $40+, but there are several cheaper alternatives in the Skin79 collection.  











Etude House Precious Mineral Bright Fit BB Cream 

Etude House
Precious Mineral Bright Fit BB Cream
W13
60 mL
SPF 30, PA++

This is a superb BB for its value; retails around $15 for a whopping 60 mL of product! The texture is more fluid than most, which makes it easy to apply whether you use a sponge, brush, or your bare fingers. SPF 30 and PA++ is entirely adequate for the summer, and a good precaution for the winter. Lasting power is great; looks fresh after 6 hours if you blot as needed.
The shade W13 is just a tad lighter than my slightly tanned skin tone, but it's nothing a smidge of bronzer can't solve. Other than that, no complaints whatsoever!










Elizabeth Arden Intervene Foundation

Elizabeth Arden
Intervene Foundation
02 Soft Shell
30 mL
SPF 15

Now, I know this isn't a BB cream, but I just couldn't leave my favorite foundation out of this review!
What I love about this little jar of goodness is it's ability to blend right into my complexion without looking thick and pasty. The coverage is excellent, so if you're like me and just use a modest amount it will last a long long time. The consistency is slightly thicker than the other BB creams in this review, which I think contributes to its fantastic lasting power (6+ hours on my acne prone, oily skin!) Plus, extra bonus points to the lovely minimalist packaging.
Unfortunately, it also carries the biggest price tag of this bunch; retailing at $36 USD on the Elizabeth Arden website. I was lucky I caught this on sale at 2/$40, which was really a steal considering the quality.














Lioele
Beyond the Solution BB Cream
50 mL
No SPF

This is one of the darker BB creams in this collection, so I like to use it in the summer months. However, a major drawback is that it contains NO SPF whatsoever. I'm also not a huge fan of the strong floral/perfumey scent, although it does fade substantially after application. Finally, I don't know if it's just a defect with my pump, but it's extremely difficult to be precise with product dispensing (an iota of extra pressure may leave you with an appalling glob or product, and lack of it requires 5+ pumps to yield an ample amount).
With that said, I don't find any problems with the product itself. It has medium coverage, lasts quite long, has a natural dewy finish, and a reasonable price tag at $15-20 a tube.
However, just the major drawback of no SPF makes me hesitant to re-purchase in the future, when the BB cream market is brimming with other options.





L'egere
Water Drop Shiny Pearl BB Cream
30 mL
SPF 26

Not your typical BB cream, this water based formula is another one of my favourites. The consistency is heavenly; and that's not an understatement my friends. Probably due to the fact that it's a water based formula, the cream literally glides and melts seamlessly into your skin. I've also noticed that it's extremely hydrating even in the winter months. Another little element of this cream is that it contains very fine, luminescent glitter particles that effects a "healthy glow" to the skin. No, not to the point that you'll resemble Edward Cullen under direct sunlight; more like a sheen you would expect from a light application of highlighter.  
Don't be fooled by the seemingly dark shade of this BB; it merely compensates for the sheerness. Thus, I would recommend this product to people who already have good skin, because the coverage is too sheer to cover blemishes. Aside from that, this product is great for everyday use.
Retails between $25 and $30/tube.





Aveeno
Clear Complexion BB Cream
75 mL
SPF 30  

I had high expectations for this product (partly due to the fact that I'm a huge Aveeno lotion fan), and happily snagged up two in one go. Little did I know what a massive mistake THAT was.
Honestly, there is nothing good I can say about this product. After the initial disappointment, the second, and third tries, the verdict remains the same. First, the pump is terrible. There is always a good amount of product that dries up inside the pump even when it's twisted closed. This makes the next pump 50% dried and useless. Next, the scent is overwhelming and reminiscent of soap. And finally, the consistency is thicker than my night cream and difficult to spread evenly. At $30 a bottle, my mistake did not come cheap.  







Below are the swatches for each BB cream/foundation.
The first was taken under natural lighting, the second under flash.
                                                           

BB cream swatches under natural lighting. Left to right: Skin 79 The Premier Gold BB, Etude House Precious Mineral BB, Elizabeth Arden Intervene Foundation, Lioele Beyond the Solution BB, L'egere Water Drop BB, Aveeno Clear Complexion BB 



BB Cream swatches under flash.


So which are my favourites?
It really depends on the occasion and the current state of my skin.
For daily use, I gravitate towards the Etude House Precious Mineral BB.
On days of clear skin (which unfortunately isn't the case the majority of the time), or when I need that extra boost of moisture, I'll grab the L'egere Water Drop BB.
Any other times when greater coverage is required, Elizabeth Arden Intervene is the way to go.

I must emphasize however, that not all skin types respond to the same products the same way. Hopefully this review has been helpful for some of you, since I myself was once faced with the daunting task of choosing a BB cream when there are so many available options!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts